Saturday 7 February 2009

First week in the land of the scots

Here are some highlights from the first week in Scotland:

Pre-trip idiocy - I packed my three giant duffel bags about two hours before I left for the airport. Then, I proceeded to throw up on the flight over due to stomach sickness and a possible hangover from the night before. I didn't go to any classes the first week because I still didn't have my class schedule figured out for a number of reasons (mainly advisers at Tech and Strathclyde), even though I originally started looking at classes in August! I realize that the people here are a lot more laid back about these things than in America. My favorite response from my international adviser here was "don't worry, it will all work out in the end". Luckily she was right and it did work out, but it was very frustrating. I showed up to one class thinking it was a sophomore level intro to materials class and ended up being a graduate level advanced structures class. When I emailed the teacher to see what happened, she casually replied that she wasn't teaching anymore and the class wasn't being offered, good luck. Needless to say, it was a challenging first few days...

Anyways, when we actually got to Glasgow the morning of January 25th, we couldn't check in to the hotel til 2 pm so went to Edinburgh for the day. It is the capital of Scotland and a very beautiful city. It is known as the "Athens of the North" for the great architecture, rich history, and cultural appeal. The Royal Mile is the main strip of Old Town Edinburgh and is full of shops, pubs, and tons of historical sites. It is a busy city that I will definitely go back to visit because there is just so much to do there. Picture of Calton Hill taken from the North Bridge:


That day, I took a walk around the University of Strathclyde campus. There is some pretty interesting history with the university, which starts with its sister college, the University of Glasgow. The University of Glasgow was founded in 1451 and is the fourth oldest college in the world. It was located in the heart of the city, but when space became limited, it branched off and moved to the West End of Glasgow (will talk about that soon) and what was left became known as the University of Strathclyde. It doesn't really look like a normal college campus and even though the buildings aren't much to look at in terms of architecture, campus is pretty much in the heart of Glasgow. George Square is the center of the city and is about 3 blocks away from campus. It is a pretty cool place with a lot of shops, pubs, and statues. They held a celebration for the 250th birthday of Robert Burns, a very famous Scottish poet the night we arrived. There was a bagpipe band, light show, and fireworks in George Square. I thought it was celebrating my arrival... Here is a picture of the Robert Burns Illuminated presentation projected on the City Chambers:



My flat mates are all very nice and I get along with them all pretty well. One is from Ghana but lives in London, one is from Knoxville, TN, one is from France and is really weird, one is from Germany and one is from Poland. They are all very different but very interesting people except the French kid. But the flat mate from Ghana is a fulltime student here so he knows a lot about the city and has taken us to a couple bars and clubs nearby. The club scene is just a wee bit different than in the States. They play American pop and hip-hop songs with really fast techno/trance beats, such as my personal favorites Lady Gaga - Just Dance and Britney Spears - Circus. Also, the girls dress really weird here. They are all pale emo/punk/goth girls with one or more of the following: dyed/spiked hair, lip/nose ring, fishnet apparel, army boots, and oddly enough spandex leggings. It will take some getting used to...

My mom and Aunt Sandi helped me move into my flat which was very helpful because there were a lot of things that I realized I didn't have when I got here. Thanks Mah. Grocery stores are a little different, they don't have anything in bulk except beer, which is not entirely a bad thing. I think it's funny that they sell Budweiser, Coors and Miller high life like it's actually good beer. It is in the same price range as Stella Artois, Guinness, and Becks, which are actually good beers. Needless to say, I haven't had an American beer since I've been here.

When my mom and aunt went to tour the rest of Scotland, I walked around the city and got a pretty good feel for where everything is. I am two blocks away from the Glasgow Cathedral. Originally built in 1136, it is the only complete medieval cathedral left in Scotland although it was burned down in the 13th Century and then rebuilt. The cathedral reminds me of the Beast's castles from Beauty and the Beast especially at dusk. Next to the cathedral is the Necropolis, a large graveyard on a hill and is one of the weirdest places I have ever been. It was really creepy because I went on a cold rainy day when there was no one else there and the place smelled like oatmeal. There were also signs in front of some of the big tombs that said "Danger keep out". Hmmm...





The last night that Donna and Sandi were in Scotland, we went to a wee port town called Queensferry near Edinburgh on the Firth of Forth. There are two incredible bridges that you can see from the town. The Forth Rail Bridge is a huge, Victorian, cantilever bridge and is one of the biggest landmarks in Scotland, stretching a mile and a half across the water. The bridge was built in 1890 and it was the first bridge to ever use steel. The other is a modern suspension bridge for road traffic. As a civil engineer, I am very fascinated by these two great examples of human ingenuity so naturally I was inclined to see them. Here are some pictures I took of the two bridges, it was very dark out so they are a little blurry:


The first weekend, I went on a tour with fellow international students to the West End of Glasgow, which is a cool place on the other side of the city. I saw the University of Glasgow which has a lot nicer campus than Strathclyde's and the architecture reminds me of the Virginia Tech campus, except built with sandstone instead of limestone. Then, I went to the Kelvingrove Art Museum, which had a great collection of various 16th Century Dutch, Italian and Scottish artists. They also had an interesting exhibit on some of the history of Scotland.




During the whole first week, I just generally had a very good feeling heading into my semester in Scotland. I am really looking forward to the next 4 months of learning about Scottish culture, traveling around Europe, and meeting new people. I still can't get over the great accents that people have here.

That's all for now. I guess I will have to catch up later on last week's funtivities. Cheers

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome. Glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling with the overseas system. Hope you're having a blast!

    ReplyDelete